Sunday, January 6, 2013

Garbage In, Garbage Out

I like watching movies, don't get me wrong, but, if all I watch are the latest blockbusters, then I start to feel a bit flaky. People start to believe what they hear if they hear it over and over again. Whether the message being repeated is good or bad, it starts to weave itself into your thoughts. I heard a speaker say one time, "Thoughts become things." In the school that I work at part time, our verse for the year is all about transformation. Taking something that is not on track and transforming it into something better, something good, something right.

Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed 
by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve 
what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.


This past weekend my husband and I attended a business seminar in Tacoma, Washington, for the new business that we have just started in. We are working as independent business owners for a company called ACN. There is something inspiring about having a room of close to 1,000 like-minded people gathered together to learn from others who have found success in this industry. The weekend was filled with special speakers who shared their experiences and tips for success in business. I left with a head full of information and a heart full of determination to make 2013 the year that we become financially free. 

One speaker, Mathieu Lamontagne, talked about "Creating a New Attitude". He shared how Leaders need to be people that stand out as individuals who are skilled in their profession, they are hard working, humble and always take responsibility for their actions. Four points that Mr. Lamontagne laid out as key to a positive or "new" attitude are: 
            1) We need positive input (what we read, watch, listen to)
            2) The words we say matter (Garbage in, Garbage out!)
            3) Association with people (who we hang around with and
                     let influence our thoughts and actions)
            4) Learn from our mistakes. (lose the pride and take responsibility
                     for your actions, so if you make a mistake, it doesn't go to
                     waste, but you learn from it, and can help others not
                     make the same mistakes).

Although this was not mentioned in his presentation, his words immediately made me think of another verse in the Bible:
Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble,  
whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely,  
whatever is admirable
—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—
think about such things. 

About 8 months ago I was in town and got into a conversation with someone that really irritated me. As I headed for home I got more and more worked up until I felt myself getting angry. When I got home, I headed for the kitchen (my mom always says that when you are angry it is a good time to clean because you have so much more energy!). A few weeks before this, I had added the Bible app to my phone. I took my phone and set it on the kitchen counter and opened up the book of Psalms. You can read it, or have it read to you. I turned on the recording and went about my cleaning. It literally only took minutes for my mindset to change. The anger went away and I turned the situation from earlier into something much more trivial in my mind. Honestly, right now, I cannot even remember what the confrontation was about anymore! I kept cleaning and listening for a whole hour - my kitchen looked great, and I had created a new attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment