Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Authentic Jazz Music

During the Spring and Summer, my husband drives a semi truck on runs between BC and Alberta. At the beginning of the summer, I got to go on a trip with him while our kids were at my parents'. Last week, he took our daughter (she celebrated her 7th birthday on the road with daddy. Last year, she was on the road for her birthday, too... this is becoming a tradition!) and this week, he has our middle son along (he's 9). Next week, Steve will take our oldest son on his trip, and then he will get to drive the rest of the summer in peace and quiet! He really enjoys having the kids along, but he sure likes the break after they've all had a turn, too!

While it was just the boys and me at home, last week, we did some pretty fun things together. One such thing was attending a concert in the park. Apparently, these Summer "Jam in Jubilee" concerts have been going on for the last 9 years, but I must have been living under a rock, because this was the first year I have ever heard of them! Some friends of mine make up the group, "Courteney Rodda and the Other Guys". It's a Jazz ensemble, and they make beautiful music together. 

You will feel like you've stepped back in time as this group performs. They are authentic, not only in their sound, but in their appearance, as well. Some of the kids in the audience just couldn't help themselves, and they began to dance along to the sounds of Jazz. The band plays classics as well as original pieces that Courteney has written.

I gave the camera to my boys for a few of these pictures, and I think they did a fun job of capturing the evening. Since the musical focus of the group is the 1940s - 1960s, I added some vintage filters to a few of the pics. If you want to know more about this group, or hear some of their jazz music, click on the link above. You can also find them on Facebook.
 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment